Search This Blog: Type a Key Word

Sunday, June 19, 2011

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL FATHERS OUT THERE!!

Being a father gives me chills in a good sense. I always want the best for my children: I don't want them hurt, I want them in health, I want them to learn to do the right thing for the right reason, I want to protect them, I want them to succeed, I want to help them, I want to share time with them, etc. In short, the chill comes from not wanting to fail. Surely, all of you fathers feel the same way, and as myself, you feel the same for other parents and kids. It doesn't always work the way you want to, but especially in the area of "sharing time with your kids".

I admit, yesterday I was somewhat selfish. I was asked to play in the Father's Day Tournament and be "a one day father" with our young and smiley assistant Haley Gunkel, and of course, I accepted... as much for her as for me. Since she knew none of my daughters could come this weekend, it was a great father's day gift to me (thank you!). It was truly enjoyable to share time with her, and her family (dad Paul, uncle Roger, brother Dustin and brother in law Trey Scales) for those five hours. And it was fun for the golf I witnessed. Dustin gave us a clinic on how the ball can be struck (lately, it seems that is all I've seen, since I have shared some rounds with one of our younger players who seems to never miss a the center of the clubface!). As well, it was good to see that four of the top five on the golf team were there as well: Berek Dyson, Keegan Hall, Cody Lake & Joby Gray.

Anyway, it was fun. Very fun. So fun that I forgot that I should have had someone take pictures, as I usually do or would have had someone do. I hope you all enjoyed the memory and next year, play or not, we'll have some pictures to remind you of your round with loved ones and hopefully you forgive my forgetfulness. 

Feelings aside, the tournament drew a little over 50 teams! Players ranged from 6 to 85 years old, and everything in between. Which brings me to this: next year, we should have a special flight for parents who play with smaller kids. Having this been my first "Father's Day Tournament" here, I can appreciate the need for such a change in flighting for fairer and kinder scoring, as now, no matter how you do it, such difference is impossible to deal with in one flight.

Here are the results:
GROSS:
1.       58 – DUSTIN, PAUL GUNKEL
2.       60 – MARK, TYLER RUSSELL
3.       61 – BEREK, DAVID DYSON
4.       63 – BROOK, BRANDT McDONALD
5.       63 – AARON MUSICK, SOUPANH SYRABOUTH
6.       63 – RONNY, RUSS SMITH
7.       64 – GARY, LUKE PHILLIPS
8.       64 – JUSTIN, WAYNE ROBINSON
9.       65 – DAVID, CORBIN DYSON
10.   66 – ALEX ALVAREZ, HALEY GUNKEL
11.   67 – RICK, RON RAINEY
12.   68 – TOM SCRIBNER, KEEGAN HALL


NET:
1.       55 – DOUG, JEREMY GRAY
2.       56 – JOBY, DOUG GRAY
3.       57 – GARRETT, MATHEW MANTLE
4.       59 – DAMON, BRYCE BUTCHER
5.       59 – RUSTY, KELSI WILSON
6.       59 – JERRY, ANDY PEFFER
7.       60 – ANN, MIKE COWAN
8.       60 – ROBERT, CODY LAKE
9.       60 – LARRY, LELAND HUDGENS
10.   61 – ROBERT, JAIME LAKEY
11.   61 – DANNY, TRAVIS VERNON
12.   61 – SY FREEMAN, HARVEY WRIGTH


Aside from watching many good shots in my group and great putting by Paul Gunkel, I had the opportunity to witness a great shot by 9 year old Trinity Jordan whose group was in front of us; on number 8, after dad Terry missed the green, Trinity proceeded to hit a great shot from 140 yards to 20 feet to save the team... Way to go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment